Up2Us Sports is launching She Can Coach - a fundraising and awareness campaign focused on the importance of growing opportunities for women to coach and ensuring young girls in vulnerable communities have great female role models in their lives.
Research from the Women’s Sports Foundation and the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sports proves that girls drop out of sports at a higher rate than boys and that girls’ participation is strongly correlated with female role models.
Fewer women are coaching Only 43% of women’s intercollegiate teams are led by female coaches.
Fewer girls are playing 59% of girls grades 3-5 in urban communities are involved in sports compared to 80% of boys.
YOUR SUPPORT WILL GIVE WOMEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO COACH
To date, Up2Us Sports has already placed over 2,000 coach-mentors in at-risk communities.With funds raised through the She Can CoachSM campaign, Up2Us Sports will:
- Train female coaches in youth development and trauma-sensitive coaching techniques
- Place trained female coaches in at-risk communities
- Engage girls living in low-income communities in sports
- Provide organizations with female coaches who can help them increase girls participation
- Give young women leadership and career opportunities in the youth sports field
Your support will go directly towards hiring women - particularly women of color from urban communities - and training them to become the credible messengers that girls need to join teams, stay in sports and reach their potential on the field and in life.